In 1914 C.W. Zeilman and others organized and promoted a second bank for Lake View, Iowa. The Farmers State Bank opened for business on October 12, 1914, with Ben Broughton as President. An "Auditor's Call" card dated March 28, 1916 indicates that John Zein was President, C.W. Zeilman was Vice President, and C. C. Denio was Cashier. It also named G.R. Spencer, Jos. Parkinson, F.W. Kolbe, Oliver Jensen, C.A. Ritter, and John Peper as members of the Board of Directors of the Farmers State Bank. It lists assets totaling $100,301.96.
In 1929 the Farmers State Bank merged with the Lake View State Bank and moved into the Lake View State Bank building on the corner of 4th and Main; the current location of the bank. The bank survived the "Bank Holidays" and bank closings that marked the depression of the 1930's and the farm crisis of the 1980's.
In October of 1989 the Farmers State Bank held its 75th anniversary celebration at the Lakewood Ballroom. At the invitation of President, E.P. Kettering, customers were invited for an evening of food, fun, music, and dancing.
Farmers State Bank began as a Community Bank and continues today to advance the economic development and well being of the community by providing citizens and enterprises with quality financial services in ways and scope consistent with high professional and ethical standards, fair treatment for employees, and a fair and adequate return to the bank's shareholders.
We welcome your business!